Yale Moves to Single Stream Recycling

Single Stream Recycling.

What is single stream recycling?
The collection of recyclable materials (paper, plastic, glass, & metals) with no sorting required by individuals.  Cans and bottles can be recycled together with mixed paper, etc. Cardboard should be folded and stored next to the recycling bin.  See below and click here to find out more.


Mixed Paper

What to Recycle:


  • white office paper
  • colored office paper
  • copy paper
  • computer paper
  • envelopes with or without windows
  • notecards
  • glossy paper
  • magazines & catalogs
  • manila folders
  • sticky notes
  • carbonless forms
  • books
  • paperboard (ex. cereal box)
  • newspaper
  • paper bags

The following items do NOT go in the recycling:

  • no carbon paper


Cans & Bottles

(Please rinse off food residues and remove lids.)

What to Recycle:


  • clean aluminum foil or trays
  • cans, bottles, jugs, jars, and other containers made of glass, metal, or plastics #1-7
  • lids can go in the recycling, but must be removed from the container (this allows for easier material sorting)
  • pipette tip boxes- boxes only!

The following items do NOT go in the recycling:

  • no plastic bags
  • no pyrex glass
  • no window glass
  • no ceramics (ex. dishes)
  • no light bulbs
  • no corks
  • no pipette tips



(Flatten and place inside a cardboard caddy, cardboard dumpster, or place next to a trash or recycling bin.)

What to Recycle:


  • corrugated cardboard

The following items do NOT go in the recycling:

  • no greasy pizza boxes
  • no paperboard (recycle this with "Mixed Paper")


SNET Telephone Directories

When you receive your new SNET directory, place your old one in the area location indicated by the custodial staff for your building. In the Central and Science Areas this is generally the location to which your new directory was delivered. In the School of Medicine leave next to a recycling bin.

At other times of the year please recycle your SNET directory by placing it next to a recycling bin.


Surplus Furniture

Check out:  Want to Reuse: Donate or Request Items


Writing Instruments

The Office of Sustainability has partnered with TerraCycle to "upcycle" used up writing instruments (ex. ball point pens, Sharpie markers) into new products.  Simply toss your old writing instruments into a Pen Pail on campus.  In addition to creating new products from these items, TerraCycle will donate 2 cents to The United Way of Greater New Haven for every instrument they receive from Yale.



Donate Styrofoam packing peanuts to local shipping companies at the post office.


Printer Cartridges

Recycle all printer cartridges through Yale's office supply vendor, Office Max. To have your cartridges picked up call OM using the phone number you receive once you have placed an order for supplies. The customer service staffer will then add on a pick-up request to your delivery request.

What to Recycle:


  • cartridges for laser printers
  • cartridges for inkjet printers
  • cartridges for fax machines
  • >cartridges for copiers

The following items do NOT go in the recycling:

  • no toner
  • no toner containers


Universal Waste & Used Electronics

Universal Waste is handled by the Office of Environmental Health & Safety (EHS)

Request a pick up for your Universal Waste items here.

What to Recycle as Universal Waste:


  • computers
  • monitors, keyboards, mice, scanners, & printers
  • radios & televisions
  • VCRs & camcorders
  • CD, DVD, & mp3 players
  • telephones & cell phones
  • lead acid, lithium, rechargeable, & button batteries
  • fluorescent bulbs (long & CFLs)

The following items are NOT Universal Waste, no EHS pick up required:

  • no microwaves
  • no refrigerators
  • no toasters
  • no paper shredders

If you would like to learn more about Universal Waste and how to identify it, take a look at Yale's Universal Waste Training Program.




Alkaline batteries can either go in the normal trash or be collected for removal through EHS. Alkaline batteries are not considered Universal Waste.

All other batteries such as lead acid, lithium, rechargeable and button batteries are Universal Waste.  These batteries must either have their ends taped with electrical tape or each battery must be placed in an individual plastic bag.  Then request a Universal Waste pick up from EHS.  These batteries cannot be discarded in the normal trash.

You can request a pick up through Environmental Health & Safety here.



Medicine Disposal

Find out how to safely dispose of prescription medicines and over-the-counter products here.


Laboratory Recycling

Click here for specific information about recycling in Yale laboratories.


Want to recycle something that isn't listed on this page?  Check out "What do I do with...?"  The A to Y guide for those hard to categorize items.


Have questions about what to recycle at Yale?  Please contact the Facilities Superintendent for your building.