Frequently Asked Questions

How do I dispose of electronic and universal waste (eg computers, TVs, cell phones, batteries, etc.)?

Universal Waste is handled by the Yale Office of Environmental Health & Safety (EHS). Click Here to request pick up of universal waste items. Click Here to view the EHS Universal Waste Training Program for more information on Universal Waste and how to identify it.

Universal waste includes:

  • Computers
  • Monitors, keyboards, mice, scanners, & printers
  • radios & televisions
  • VCRs & camcorders
  • CD, DVD, & mp3 players
  • Telephones & cell phones
  • Lead acid, lithium, rechargeable, & button batteries
  • Fluorescent bulbs (long & CFLs)

The following is NOT considered universal waste, and will not be picked up by EHS for recycling:

  • Microwaves
  • Refrigerators
  • Toasters
  • Paper shredders

The Spring Salvage program is an annual resource recovery/ waste diversion program held during undergraduate student move-out. Students can donate reusable items such as books, lamps, beds, electronics, clothing, and furniture for reuse through the Spring Salvage Program.

I am a faculty/staff member. Where can my department buy/sell/exchange used furniture items, equipment, and lab equipment?

Surplus furniture, lab equipment, and other items can be sold, exchanged, or purchased at Yale’s Eli Surplus Exchange.